Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Update

I had an OB appt. this morning. Amanda, my OB, had a hard time finding Joy's heartbeat at first and then when she found it it sounded kinda irregular and slow. Amanda said it sounded like the heart was skipping some beats. She was going to try and get me set up for a quick ultrasound, but wouldn't ya know it the stupid machine was being worked on. She listened a little more with the doppler to her heartbeat and it was still slow beating at about 80-100 beats per minute and got up to the 140-150 range, which is where she normally is. Amanda said normally they would likely send me to the hospital and hook me up to a monitor to see what is going on and if need be deliver the baby. She also said we don't know necessarily what is going on when we are not listeing to the heartbeat. She suggested that if I feel no movement for about 12-24 hours to come in for an u/s or go to labour and delivery if it is at night.

I'm not really sure what to think. Joy has not been moving much today, although she seems to be more active at night. I guess I'll just see what happens tonight and go in tomorrow if I need to. This is my worst fear...something happening while Lewis is out of town. I'm doing fine though, I'm not anticipating the worst at this point. Please just keep us in your prayers.

Something of interest Amanda did say was that if Joy is still in a breach position come 36 weeks they will likley go ahead and schedule a c-section around that time. That brings us to the last week in October. Now if we can see eye to eye on when the real due date is. I say it is Nov. 23 and according to their handy cycle wheel I should be due around Nov. 15. Not to sound like a "know it all," but I really do know better in this case regarding the cycle I had while I conceived Joy. It was longer than normal. I've been right with all my kids and their due dates when doctors have always marked my due date as sooner than it really was. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal, but I'm such a stickler for details.

I can't believe how fast things are moving along. It really makes me sad to think that Joy may only be alive inside of me for another 6 weeks. I just want to keep her safe inside of me, but I really don't know that she is safe in there either. If her heart is beating irregularly it sounds like she may be in distress? This really sucks!

No comments: