Friday, May 15, 2009

8 Months....and Hopeful

Today is the 8 month anniversary of Joy's birth. 8 months ago she went home to be with the Lord. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and miss her presence in our lives. I thought today would be a good day to share some good news.....Joy is going to be a big sister! I'm pretty sure she is thrilled about that and wouldn't mind me sharing some happy news on this day.

Probably part of the reason I haven't updated in a while is because I didn't want to feel like I was keeping something from you all. We found out on March 1. I am now 15 weeks along and due around Nov.2.


I have to be honest here...being pregnant again after Joy has a lot of mixed emotions attached to it. I'm not quite sure how to put it into words and sometimes I fear that if I try it will be misunderstood. I will give it a try though.



Before I get into that I do want to share that we had an ultra sound at 12 weeks and, praise the Lord, everything is as it should be. No limb-body wall, no fluid where it should not be. I have certainly had a sense of relief since the ultra sound, but I still know that nothing is guaranteed and I don't take that for granted. However, I have hope. Hope feels good, and strange at the same time. It feels strange to be pregnant and be hopeful that I will be able to bring this baby home. Part of me grieves the fact that I am broken and my whole way of viewing what is supposed to be a joyful time is warped. Obviously I am changed, I mean you can't go through planning to lose your unborn child for months and then it happening and remain the same. I know this.



I don't want to give the impression that being pregnant again is not joyful, but it's tempered with trepidation. I can't explain it all, but it still occasionally bothers me to be around pregnant ladies...really just those that don't know my story. I think I'm jealous of their carefree excitement and anticipation. There is nothing wrong with that and every pregnant woman should feel that way. I won't ever have that again....I'm jealous. It's that simple.

Lewis and I have agreed that this baby will be our last. I really want to be able to enjoy this pregnancy, but I feel myself holding back. I suppose that is normal? Whatever that is! It's not that I am fearful that something terrible will happen, but I'm certainly not naive to all the possibilities. You know...ignorance is bliss! I know they also say...knowledge is power. In this case, my knowledge doesn't feel powerful...it feels binding, constricting, and makes the air heavy to breathe.

Honestly, I really don't meditate on those thoughts much, but every so often they creep in. I know God's hand is over this little life, just as it was with Joy, and only He can bring the peace I need. I really just try to rest in that and give it to God.

So there you have it...part of the reason I have been so quiet lately. Other reasons? Oh, you know ....life. We would still appreciate your prayers on this leg of our journey and for the health and safety of this little baby.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Sharleen,
I can't believe it's been 8 months since Joy went to Heaven and over 7months since I "met" you! I'm glad God is bringing Hope back into your life through peace and the presence of this new baby. I will continue to pray for a healthy baby. I love what you said about knowledge means power, but for you it is "binding, constrictive, and makes the air heavy to breathe." I TOTALLY get that and sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just be done. Pray for me today too, if you would. It's what I mentioned before.
Blessings,
Rachel

Jennifer McInnis said...

Sharleen,

Congratulations. I am so happy for you!! I'm glad that you decided to have another baby. I know it's hard and there are many people praying for you and your family!! Congratulations again - YAY!!!

God BLess,
Jennifer

Desiree said...

Congratlations! I have been following your blog and am so happy about your great news. You are a very inspiring woman and mother. I am a new mother and have learned a lot from you and your sweet Joy. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Carla said...

Congratulations! This new little one will bring a lot of healing to your heart. Not that this one will ever replace Joy. I totally understand when you were talking about your innocence and naive excitement being lost with this pregnancy. I lost my first baby so the ones that followed were never without that constant reminder that something could go terribly wrong. To keep my sanity and enjoy my pregnancies I made a conscious effort to let go and really give my babies over back to God upon conception. It helped me breath and trust in his sovereignty in every situation. Hang in there and don't forget to enjoy this new growing little one to pieces :)

jenn said...

Hi. I just read your comments on Angie's blog and hopped on over here. I lost my son, Harrison, on September 16,2008 and am pregnant again (22 weeks) I have a son (5) and daughter (2 1/2) on earth. Gavyn has asked me several times if this baby will live here on earth. I know that pain. I also know how I sometimes want to slap the young pregnant women registering for baby stuff, because they obviously don't know the "what-if's" and maternity stores are a nightmare. This will also be our last pregnancy and I struggle also with the trepidation of joy. I just pray frequently that I can give these worries to God. I wish you well and will keep you in my prayers.
Jenn